Saturday, March 14, 2009

Commentary by Magi McBride

This is an event that I started last year, and it is a cause that is near and dear to my heart. I have a 5 year old grandson that was diagnosed as Autistic at 18 months of age. This is a condition that can be very unsettling simply because there is no real answer as to what causes Autism or what if anything or ever will be a way to prevent or help solve this mystery.

My grandson Joey... is an amazing little man, and the most precious angel to walk the face of this earth. He has come so far since he was diagnosed, and the little everyday things that so many of us take for granted have become reasons for us to celebrate, almost on a daily if not weekly basis. Joey was provided with in home therapy until he was old enough to go into the public school system. Three days a week he had a therapist come into the home and work with him on, Speech, Physical and Occupational skills. He went from a child that would not look at you when you talked to him or even called his name, to one that will climb into your lap and hold your face in his hands and look you in the eyes and laugh with you. :) He feeds himself, dresses himself, he is learning computer skills at school which he really seems to enjoy, he doesn't talk yet, though he does say a couple dozen different words or phrases. He can't always express what he wants, but he'll take you by the hand and show you what he wants or needs. I find myself in awe every time I am blessed to be around him. He loves Nemo and Buzz Lightyear and will study things for hours, I would love to be able to step in his brain and find out all the wonderful things going on in there, I know I would be totally blown away.

I love Joey... more than I could ever express... and I find myself truly torn up and devastated at times when I think about what lies ahead for him. I think often of my daughter, Lara, her husband Joe, and their precious daughter, Joey's older sister Emma, and so many things they go through on a day to day basis and the sacrifice that is made at times because Joey doesn't function like other children.

I have met a few people here in Second Life that are Autistic and read a few fascinating and amazing stories of the efforts and strides put forth by them their selves and other organizations like ASA – Autism Society of America.

Last year we were able to raise $3,550.00 US Dollars for the ASA, through the wonderful and generous giving hearts of the people here in Second Life. We held a date auction and a 12 hour concert. This year, we are having a Miss Blues for Autism 2009 Pageant the lady with the most donations will be crowned Miss BFA 2009. We started collecting entries and donations the first of March, (the cut off for entries will be March 13th at 12:00 SLT) and thus far we’ve collected 150,000L with 6 more weeks before the actual pageant ends. Our goal this year is 1,500,000L. We also have the concert to be held the 25th of April… which will be 16 hours this year, with more than half of the performers being live artists. These people along with the awesome DJ’s are a big, big reason we do so well… Everyone is so in tune to the need.

No comments:

Post a Comment